Friday, November 16, 2007

affluent surfers? >>


I noticed this story through surfhog. it seems that affluent surfers or should I say people who have decided to start surfing later in life having already made some money in working life, & are buying property in coastal areas out pricing the locals. much as it seems strange considering surfing has for a long time been associated with long haired beach bums.

the down side of it is that seemingly the better off are moving to the coast of wales to be able to go surfing. as a surfer and a resident of cornwall I can see why the idea that house prices are making it very difficult for people to afford to live by the ocean, and feel lucky to be able to do so. I think the pressure to own property especially in the uk is far too great.

house prices are still silly down here with property values having tripled in just over 10 years. I don't want to turn this into an article fit only for the daily mail (a paper I do not like), but it really is out pricing a whole layer of the local community.

No comments: