Friday, September 21, 2007

understanding in education >> accepting in education

I have just been trying to explain 'branding' to a group of year 9 students. they seemed to understand, but so much of their understanding in simply accepting. I showed the cadburys diary milk ad, to illustrate the way a brand can be sold using for want of a better word a 'gimmick' (a gorilla playing the drums) to be fair I have never been a fan of phil collins but I do like the advert, more to the point I like the idea of the advert.

the first time I watched it I was a little bemused & I liked that feeling. the group of students are not in the slightest bemused as they are so used to visual and audio flooding that they simply accepted it, never even trying to understand.

the advert works with a young audience as one student pointed out that after seeing the advert noticed that diary milk was on offer 2 for 1 at the local morrisons store. so her and her mum went out and bought some. so diary milk sales are increasing as are sales/downloads for phil collins. so a successful ad campaign.

I suppose they don't need to understand, & perhaps acceptance without question is simply part of their lives, I am just glad that it is not part of mine.

No comments: