Monday, January 21, 2008

most depressing day of the year, equation?

I actually didn't realise that today is supposed to be the most depressing day in the uk this year. I heard it at work & on the radio, even read about it in the paper when I got home. I have had better days but I didn't feel that bad at all today other than the usual apprehension felt at the beginning of any working week through the year.

I wanted to know more so I had a look about to see the how the date is decided to search about for the equation used to work it out. it seems to have been developed by dr. cliff arnall (who specializes in seasonal disorders) at the university of cardiff, wales. his calculations show that the misery peaks on a monday.

I actually like equations and enjoy working stuff like this out, so perhaps I am lucky as it has given me something of interest to ponder today.
that said the wind and rain that is battering my little house in south cornwall tonight, doesn't sound that nice.

- 1/8W+(D-d) 3/8xTQ MxNA.

where:
- W: weather
- D: debt
- d: money due in january pay
- T: time since christmas
- Q: time since failed quit attempt
- M: general motivational levels
- NA: the need to take action

more links
moneyhospital
beatbluemonday.greenblog
skynews

No comments: